Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Journey Begins

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step… or so the saying goes. So, here I am teetering on the verge of my fist step of what I can only assume will be a long, complicated, trying, and (hopefully!) rewarding journey. There is another saying that seems rather apropos as well, put your money where your mouth is!

For the last few years, as I have learned more and more about the factory farming method that is currently the primary way of producing meat and dairy products, I have become increasingly concerned and appalled by the practices that my own consumer dollars are supporting. While I have been doing a lot of talking about the need for change and a move toward a more sustainable method of food production, talk is cheap! Now is the time for action.

My purpose for this blog is to document my findings and experiences as I attempt to put my money where my mouth is… literally! ☺ I have complained about the problems and dangers of factory farming for long enough, and now I’m going to put up or shut up! And I’m inviting you to keep me honest by holding me accountable. I welcome your questions, comments, disagreements, and (hopefully) support! I’m hoping the blog can help stimulate a conversation about our food and ways to make it better. Experts agree that our current system is not sustainable long-term, so now is the time to begin to make changes to keep meat a part of our diet, keep it affordable, and produce it responsibly.

I don’t claim to have all the answers, or even answers at all, really. What I do have is a lot of available information, research skills, and the desire to learn and share as much about this important topic as I’m able. So, I hope you will consider being a part of my journey… trips are so much more fun with company!

In the next few weeks, I will go into some of the reasons why this is so important to me and what I plan to do on this journey. I also want to share information about how factory farming is a drain on our society and adversely affects our economy, environment, healthcare, and animal welfare. Coming up…. Factory Farming Defined, Alternatives Explored and The Bottom Line – The High Cost of “Cheap” Meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment