Sunday, January 8, 2012

Beans and Rice

Growing up, I came to dislike the dreaded meal of beans and rice. My parents were missionaries, which isn't the most financially lucrative of pursuits, so mealtime budgets sometimes needed to be stretched quite thin. While I am still not overly fond of pinto beans, I have made my peace with beans and rice, and have developed my own take on it that I truly enjoy. Here is my version of the dish which is a quick and easy (and inexpensive) meal to make, and works great for those Meatless Mondays or any other meatless day of the week.
As you may know by now, I don't do "recipes", but here is the basic composition of this dish. 

Beans: 1 can, or approximately 2 cups reconstituted dried 
Rice: around 1/2 cup
Tomatoes: between 1/2 lb and 1 lb fresh tomatoes, or 1 28 oz can

I use black beans, white rice, and fresh tomatoes (when seasonally available). You can use any type of bean that you prefer (even pinto), and you can use reconstituted dried beans or canned beans. Likewise, you can choose the rice of your preference (just keep in mind that if you use brown rice it will need to cook about twice as long). 

From this base, you can add as many or as few other ingredients as you choose. I usually use these ingredients in addition.

Garlic: 1 minced clove and / or Onion: 1/2 diced
Jalapeno: 2 freshly diced (or pickled slices when fresh are not on hand)
Cilantro: 1 handful of fresh cilantro loosely chopped
And, because this recipe includes tomatoes and I listened to my mom, just a pinch of sugar

I have also added bell pepper and/or carrots diced (I am choosing to not use any additional vegetables in the dish I am preparing today, because I plan to repurpose my leftovers into a burrito dish later in the week and I have discovered that carrots are not appealing to me in a burrito).

Heat a very small amount of oil (approx 1 tsp) in pan
Saute onion, jalepeno, and any other vegetables (other than tomato) that you would like to include
When vegetables are tender, add garlic and half of the chopped cilantro
Add beans (with liquid)
Add tomatoes (with liquid)
Bring to a boil over high heat
Add rice and stir thoroughly 
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 min or until rice is cooked
Add remaining cilantro, stir, and serve

Preparation time is minimal (about 10 minutes), and this dish requires very little supervision once it is covered and on low, so it is very quick and easy to cook even when things are hectic around the house.
Buen Provecho!


No comments:

Post a Comment